Monday, January 21, 2013

Picking Up Where I Left Off

Falling is the easy part, it's finding the strength to get back up that's hard.

I hit a snag a few weeks ago.  I sprained my wrist, which kept me from doing any serious work on my computer for nearly 2 weeks.  Of course, as life would have it, I also lost an entire weekend to a nasty virus.  Spending 16-18 hours a day sleeping doesn't allow for much time to be productive.  Needless to say, this year started out with plenty of zing, but it also allowed a lot of little unforeseen hitches through the back door.   I could be frustrated.  I could just stop for now and pick up the project at a better time, but looking back at all that I have gone through, I realize, I owe it to myself to keep moving forward.

I thought of the day I hiked further than I'd ever gone on the Silver Lake sand dunes.  It wasn't a special day, until I pushed myself beyond my comfort zone.  I wanted to know what lay beyond the familiar horizon.  I was rewarded by a great number of opportunities that day and while this photograph didn't make it into the project, it's still a wonderful reminder for me of how far I was willing to push.
I hiked nearly 2 miles through the sand, unaware this tree would be waiting for me.  I had to wait for the sun to clear the clouds to make effective frames, but I managed to make several I was pleased with. 

I didn't give up that day, so I'm not going to let a few snags keep me from finishing the work I started.  No matter what stands in my way, I'm going to figure out a way around it.  This project is about more than some photographs I made, it's about the journey.  


No comments:

Post a Comment